Friday 3 May 2013

Caramel & sour cherry flapjack - or what M&S don't want you to know

It comes to something, doesn't it, when you're ripping your own recipes out of magazines. 

That makes me sound terribly grand but the truth is, I write a recipe column for our local parish mag (circulation, a whopping 734) and a couple of months ago, I treated them to this flapjack recipe that I made on a whim, having some left over tinned caramel and not wanting to eat it there and then with a teaspoon from the tin. I didn't blog it and then realised that I had thrown away my notes. The relevant issue of the parish mag was the only place it was recorded.

I had to rootle through the various piles around the house to dig the recipe out again (required eating for the weekend's camping trip) - no luck, and then - horrors - as I was emptying out the recycling I realised that my copy of the relevant issue was in there to be chucked out. I ripped out the relevant section, and decided that I'd better blog it and record it, otherwise what had been a happy accident would take me several failed attempts and many tins of caramel to recreate.

The thing that I love so much about these is the similarity to one of my guilty pleasures - those soft flapjacks sold in small bitesize squares in tubs by high end supermarkets. Bitesize, of course means that I always eat far more of them than necessary, and to be honest, I never buy them - but the Husband occasionally produces a half-finished barrel that's been at work. They never last long, and the tubs are great for freezing things in.

For me these are the best flapjacks I have ever made. After many attempts using different methods and ingredients, I may never try another recipe again....

Caramel & Sour Cherry Flapjacks

200g tinned caramel
220g unsalted butter
100g soft brown sugar
320g oats
75g dried sour cherries

Line a 20cm square tin & pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan.

Melt together the caramel, butter and sugar over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally. Add in the oats and dried fruit, stir together and press into the tin with a fork.

Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, till golden brown. Simples.

I have also made this and then melted 65g dark chocolate and drizzled it over the top. 

Just saying.

R&J or M&S?



12 comments:

  1. I will be making these tomorrow! Just happen to have a tin of caramel and they sound so good. Sense I could use them to lure reluctant OH on a camping trip - rocky road worked a treat last time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took them camping at the weekend - a great success.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, but those do look tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw some tinned caramel in the shop the other day, and apart from bannoffee pie, wondered what on earth to do with it... But now I know!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound and look fabulous and with some dulche de leche that I could really do with using up (and some slightly out of date dried fruit) these could very well be on the agenda very soon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those disproportionately easy for maximum results recipes. I have started to buy tiuns of caramel especially...

      Delete
  5. I love those little tubs of flapjacks! I'm not sure whether I should be thanking you for sharing the recipe...or sending you the bill for my bigger trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are a bit wicked, aren't they... but I will be sending another bill your way - the rhubarb cake is getting made this weekend!

      Delete
  6. Hi! Long time, no see!
    I am really impressed with the Fresh week idea. Trouble is, it's coincided with my hubby and I both coming down with hideous sore throats (and in his case Tonsillitis), so we haven't exactly wanted to eat ANYTHING!
    I have emailed the link for the flapjacks to myself though - they sound scrummy.
    I hope you and the family are well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise -0 good to hear from you, although sorry you've been poorly. This flapjacks are the business. Will defo help you get over a sore throat!

      Delete
  7. I love these flapjacks. And I love the word Rootle!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1