Monday 29 April 2013

The Last Meal...

Today, my boy left home.




Not for long, you understand - just till Friday. His class are on the annual Yr 4 residential trip that the school run, spending time at a study centre on the south coast.

An amazing opportunity, he's been so excited about it - but nervous, too.

"I'm going to miss you, Mummy" is nothing to the number of times he has counted down the days, discussed the menu (a stroke of genius, that, sending the menu home a few weeks ago!), wondered about what he would be doing... To say that the moment of departure, of actual separation has been preying on his mind is an understatement - for this is what has been the problem for him. He has stayed away from us before - usually at his Granny & Grumpy's, usually with Pink, but not always. Apart from those times, I have been there when he has gone to sleep and when he has woken up almost every day. And now I won't be. He is going to have to go away. Once he is there, he will have a ball. But leaving is hard.

It's all part of growing up. I know that.

Last night, he sat at the table, and somewhat dramatically announced "This is the last meal I'm going to eat with my family".

I felt a little bit guilty - I had been preparing him for a welcome home dinner to end all welcome home dinners, then realised that our Bank Holiday camper van excursion would put paid to that - hard to prepare a roast on a 2 ring gas cooker... I quickly 'fessed up and offered him the choice of meals before he went.

So what did he choose? 

Roast lamb



Yorkshire pudding (I had to put aside my hang ups about only having Yorkshire pudding with beef)




Roast potatoes crisp with semolina, carrots and leeks.

And pineapple upside down cake.



This morning, there were no tears (from either of us), only far more hugs than I would ever normally get in the presence of his friends, and plenty of excitement. Already, this evening, there are photos on the class pages of his school website which suggest that he is having an 'epic' time - and this evening he is badger watching. In the words of every 9 year old, the country over - 'Awesome'. In the photos, he looks happy and relaxed.

I like to think that his 'last supper' contributed to that.

14 comments:

  1. It looks like the perfect last supper to me.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He did enjoy it, which obviously pleased me enormously!

      Delete
  2. Ah, how lovely! Good choice of meal too and yes, the 'last supper' will have contributed to the excitement x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) he's looking forward to his week of cooked breakfasts - strange that he's driven by his stomach... or not!

      Delete
  3. Poor Blue! In years to come he will never live down that quote ;)
    DD1 had a great time last year (in spite of some tears) but it's long for us...! How's Pink coping?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink has got over it now that she has full access to the Apple devices in the household - she was fairly distraught yesterday, but she likes a good indulgent sob, so while I have no doubt she's missing her brother, I suspect it was a case of taking advantage of a situation...

      Delete
  4. Oh bless. No better way to send him off though, however long he's going to be away. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) 2 days gone already - Friday will come round soon. Missing him loads!

      Delete
  5. Awww... I hope he has a lovely time! And as far as I am concerned, I would have Yorkshire pudding with breakfast if I could, so I think lamb's OK! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, the idea of it for breakfast doesn't bother me. Especially if there was lots of jam, like they used to eat it!

      Delete
  6. Loads of awwwwws from over here too! Hope he has a lovely time (though doubt the food will be as nice as yours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnaks Kate but he's a boy with hollow legs at the moment and being outside all day is not going to make him very picky!!

      Delete
  7. There are some cooking recipes which increasing in the world and there are some dishes which are popular day by day.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1