Wednesday 4 December 2013

More soup - this time spicy spinach & coconut - suitable for 5:2, too!

As well as the parsnips, we also said goodbye to the last of our over-wintered spinach at the weekend. This meant that I had 250g (leaf & stalks) to turn into something delicious.

Now, I absolutely LOVE spinach - it is one of my most favourite things. I love it steamed, on toast, topped with a poached egg, may be some bacon. I also love it creamed, or in a gratin with anchovies, or just steamed with a grating of nutmeg. It's super healthy too. Unfortunately, the kids are not so keen, though, so rather than either concealing it in something else, or subjecting myself to the grimaces and whinging that tends to accompany a brazen appearance of the stuff, unadulterated on their plates (somethimes, you just have to take the path of least resistance) I thought I'd see if I could enhance my 5:2 fast days by creating this batch into some tasty soup.

Turns out that I could. I have worked out as accurately as I can that 400ml of this will work out at a smidge over 119 calories. 400ml might actually fill me up, which is a huge bonus. I was going to have a  fast day today, but then I remembered that I was going out to night, so it will have to be tomorrow. I had some of the soup for lunch today anyway, and it's very tasty. The chilli and ginger give it a little something extra which makes me feel like I've eaten more than I actually have - always a bonus, even when it's not a fast day, if it will stop me reaching for the bread...

250g spinach - leaves and stalks (doesn't need to be baby spinach or anything), thoroughly washed
2 shallots, roughly chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 Kallo organic chicken stock cube made up with 500ml boiling water
1 can light coconut milk
1 dried chilli

Put the shallot, garlic and ginger into a pan that will eventually take all the liquid, and which has a lid, and just cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer till softened and the water is all but gone - it won't take too long and if everything looks softened before the water has all evaporated don't worry too much, but do keep an eye on it to avoid it boiliong dry. Sprinkle in the dried chilli, pour in the stock and coconut milk and bring back to a simmer. Add in the spinach and cook for 5 mins or so till the spinach is wilted, then blitz.



4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. yes - it's really good (if i do say so myself)

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious - Will def make it, thx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1