Friday 14 December 2012

Leftovers Strike back - Roast Root Veg Fritatta with cauli & chorizo

You know those days when you stare into the wardrobe and think "I have nothing to wear?" - when quite clearly you have lots of things to wear, just nothing that seems right? It happens to me a lot. I usually end up getting all annoyed, and cobbling some outfit together that is totally wrong. Let's say that I am not renowned for my sense of style.

I had the same feeling looking in the fridge the other night. I wasn't short of things to actually cook, I just couldn't for the life of me decide what I should get out of the fridge and put together. I also had a dish of left over roast parsnip and celeriac (from the garden - but of course) looking reproachfully at me.

I started off getting excited about a chorizo/cauliflower combo. Roasting cauliflower is my new favourite thing. This wasn't helping with the leftovers, of course, but I needed to start somewhere,for goodness sake. "If I roast these together then may be..." I thought.

So I did - a small cauliflower and 120g of cooking chorizo, cut into small florets/sliced and into the oven at about 220 for 10 mins or so then turned down to 180 for another 15 minutes. It looked delicious, but then I couldn't work out what to do with it. May be I should have just served it as it was. I'd have eaten it, but I couldn't help thinking that the Husband might feel a little short-changed.

And the left overs kept catching my eye - but not necessarily in a good way.

I mentally discarded risotto, pasta and potatoes - but how to combine the leftovers and the cauli/chorizo in to meal that I actually wanted to eat, and that would do for the Husband's supper too.

Eventually, after scanning the shelves - although not actually looking in any of the cookery books - inspiration. Something that I remembered vaguely from Veg Everyday. 

I chopped up the left over roast veg quite small into a roasting dish, plus 4 spring onions that were lying limply at the bottom of the fridge, then added in the cauli/chorizo. 




Beat together 5 eggs with about half a tablespoon of finely chopped rosemary and poured it on top. I grated some cheese on top - because cheese is always good in these sorts of situations, and bingo - in the oven for 20 minutes of so: fritatta.




Not perhaps beautiful to look at, but damn tasty, all things considered! I am clearly better at fridge foraging than wardrobe foraging. 


Linking up with Simple and in Season hosted this month by Karen at Lavender & Lovage, and this month's Herbs on Saturday - also hosted by Karen - because this thrown together supper was definitely lifted with the lovely rosemary - one ot he only herbs surviving in the garden after the recent cold snap.


2 comments:

  1. That cauliflower looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fabulous recipe and I am also a lover of roasted cauliflower too.......a wonderful seasonal and herbal recipe, just perfect thanks! Karen

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments - please leave one. Unfortunately, I have been getting hideous amounts of SPAM so please can you do the word verification thingy?

UA-44695690-1